Saturday, February 23, 2008

Poison Control is on my Speed Dial

You may have noticed from my profile that I am a very busy mom. In order to go to school, work, and care for my children, I telecommute 3 mornings per week. For many people this would be the ultimate arrangement. On those mornings, I have a 15 second commute; my bed to the computer, so that is nice. The downside is that I have 3 young children. I am required to put in 3 hours on each of those mornings. In order to get that time in, I begin working around 6, so I can usually get 2 good hours in before my kids get up. The last hour can get pretty interesting. It usually takes me 2 hours to put in what I consider one hour of work. Come with me as I reflect on my last telecommuting morning.



My morning was going pretty well: I got quite a bit done and my kids all seemed relatively happy. Most mornings at home, 2 of my 3 children are crying at any given time. (The things we will go through to make money) The baby was playing quietly on the floor, my 4 year old was playing quietly by herself, and my 2 year old was being quiet. After several minutes of relative quietness, fear slowly crept up my insides until I realized it had been quiet too long.



Oh no! Something must be wrong! I turned from the computer and the baby and 4 year old were still playing quietly. It would be easy to think my mother's intuition was wrong, but I knew better. The remaining child isn't just any 2 year old...he's a two year old boy. I asked Madison to run upstairs and check on her brother. What I heard next would strike fear in any seasoned mother's heart. Madison was laughing hysterically and she shouted, "Mom! You gotta get up here and see this boy!"



I took the steps two at a time and nearly missed the doorway to my bedroom (think the famous Kramer move on Seinfeld). Ryan was sitting on my bed with a set of Crayola paints. Not just any Crayola paints, but rather glitter Crayola paints. And he was EATING them!! When he decided one color tasted bad, he spit it out ON MY BED and tried another color. Maybe he thought they were different flavors? He had paint in his ears, on his hands, on his socks, and his teeth and tongue were covered in glitter. God bless kids...life would be boring without them!!



Follow-up to that story: Ryan's first post-paint-eating diaper was very colorful and glitterful!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

How hilarious! Please tell me you took pictures?!? You should post them. You could also scrapbook them and then show them on his first date. Talk about blackmail!! This one is too funny! Thanks for the laugh!

Lindsay said...

I didn't get pictures. The batteries on my camera were dead and I didn't even think about taking pictures until I was washing his hands. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Jenn said...

That was AWESOME! Isn't it funny how they pick the parents bed to do that?

Anonymous said...

I laughed so hard about the glitter poop! I am sure that was quite interesting! LOL